CARING PEOPLE
Senior Completes Three-Day, 60-Mile Walk in Honor of her Mother

HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 5, 2012 - For three days and 60 miles, a sea of pink stretched across the streets of Boston for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure, and Kelly Jones, a senior political science major and communications minor at High Point University, had an inspiring reason to want to cross that finish line - her mom.

Jones, who walked alongside nearly 1,500 other members of the community, including cancer survivors, children of survivors, and family and friends of survivors in the 60-mile march, found it not only as an opportunity to spread awareness of breast cancer in the area, but also as a personal journey of fulfillment and tribute to her mother.

"I walked in honor of my mom's 15-year cancer-free anniversary," said Jones. "Every step I took, every ounce of energy and every tired muscle in my body was a reminder of how little my pain was compared to my mom's, and to the other women and men who battled cancer."

With the support of her family and friends, Jones raised a total of $3,220 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. She said that the support of her sorority at HPU, Alpha Gamma Delta, Dr. Nido Qubein, president of HPU, and other individuals on campus played a vital role in her journey.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation donates 75 percent of proceeds to fund national research and large public health outreach programs to help discover new information and treatment for breast cancer. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund local community and affiliate outreach programs committed to fighting breast cancer and providing education.

"The walk was the most life-changing experience I have ever endured," said Jones. "I was able to raise money and education so other children, family and friends never have to watch their loved ones go through the pain that I did."

Jones' experience doesn't end with this one, though. She plans on walking again in the Susan G. Komen 3-day Walk for the Cure held in Tampa, Fla. in October 2013.

# # #